Ahh yes, SEO, the hottest topic in the digital marketing world and the most thrown around acronym in terms of marketing jargon.
But what exactly is SEO?
SEO, also known as Search Engine Optimization, which is the practice of increasing the quantity and quality of traffic to your website by ensuring that the site appears high on the list of results returned by a search engine.
Google and other search engines want to make sure they’re delivering their searchers to the healthiest, most credible and most relevant sites.
So, essentially, SEO’s job is:
- To identify errors, speed issues, lack of security, or mobile-unfriendliness and work to resolve these.
- To improve the number of legitimate, high ranking sites that are linking back to your content.
- To ensure you have content on your pages that is relevant to your audience, and easily ‘readable’ by Google and other search engines.
All this will encourage the search engine to give your site priority so it will rank higher on the search engine results page (SERP).
In 2019, cleaning up your website and improving your SEO ranking is crucial.
Here are the top 5 reasons why:
- Much fewer people are looking on the 2nd page of Google. Improving SEO helps bring your listing to the 1st page of Google and other SERPs where over 70% of the clicks happen! Ranking on the 1st page of a SERP means you’ll be getting significantly more people seeing your website, everyday.
- Branding, branding, branding. Being one of the top 5 suggestions in the results pages (SERPs) gives your site credibility and helps your business increase its brand awareness by having a large number of seeing your website information and more likely to click on it too.
- Level up and beat your competitors with an SEO upgrade. With the market so highly saturated nowadays, it’s hard to stand out. They might be bigger, but you can beat your competitors with an SEO-optimized website that shows above them in search results.
- Zooming in to click a tiny button on your mobile phone or trying to access a pull-down menu that just.wont.click. is not chic or fun. Since 70% of people search using their mobile phone, it is essential for your business to have a user-friendly mobile version of your website. Google knows this and penalises websites that have a poor mobile experience. Part of a good SEO programme is assessing your mobile-friendliness to make sure you’re putting your best foot forward for Google and all those mobile visitors.
- Content is king! SEO will help make sure that all that content you worked so hard on for your website is readable by the search engine, and so, more likely to be read by your audience. Let your content do the work for you to educate or convert your site visitors.
Phew, that was a lot of information. Now that you know the importance of SEO and what it can do for your business, whats next?
Take action. Check out our other SEO articles and learn how to optimize your website.
Best of Luck. — Soulpepper